MULTIFAMILY & TECHNOLOGY NEWS
- Marriott versus Airbnb. The hotel behemoth is entering the same space as Airbnb; home-sharing. After testing a successful pilot program in Europe, Marriott will bring ‘Tribute Portfolio Homes’ to the U.S. with more than 2,000 rooms in high-end homes.
- Shipping Wars. We’re not talking about the A&E show. Amazon announced its plan to invest $800m to win the 1-day shipping race. Big-box retailers like Walmart and Target will likely try to keep pace. Our fingers are crossed for the 1-day shipping standard. 🤞🏼
- 585,000 square feet. Wrap your head around that for a second. Amazon just increased its footprint in Crystal City by signing a 48k SF lease. Their ‘National Landing’ project will reportedly bring over 25k jobs to the area.
- Lululemon has a handle on retail. The popular activewear company did $3.3b in sales last year with 74% of them coming from brick-and-mortar. Part of their 5-year plan includes a shift to experiential stores and increasing their apparel offering to men. Nick Foles (former Eagles QB) became Lululemon’s first signed male ambassador.
RETAIL & OFFICE NEWS
- What do renters really want? According to a recent survey by Greystar, here’s what topped the list.-Swimming pool (in cold and warm climates)
-In-Unit washer and dryer
-An eating area
- Elite amenities hit Charleston, SC multifamily development. 511 Meeting Steet is slated for a July 1st opening. The 221 unit development features over 9,000 SF where ‘residents can work privately, engage with one another socially or professionally, focus on their wellness through a custom-designed fitness menu, enjoy community gatherings and more.
- The tallest building in Brooklyn? Answer: Brooklyn Point. The 68-story building stands at 720 feet high. Brooklyn Point features over 40k SF of lifestyle amenities and services, including a 65′ indoor saltwater pool, rock climbing wall, yoga studio and more.
Real Talk is brought to you by Real8 Group, a real estate executive search firm. We send one email per week focusing on the real estate industry. Sign up here.